Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleCampus Safety Officer I (Substitute)
Salary ($US) and BenefitsSalary Range: $12.73 - $16.55
Substitute positions are available
On Call/As Needed
Up to 8 hrs/day
Current CLU students are not eligible for this position.
** This is a continuous recruitment process and may close at any time. An application review will be ongoing and qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process.**
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Director of Campus Safety, provide security and safety for students, staff, visitors and physical assets of the campus community. Enforce campus motor vehicle regulations and assist in parking and traffic control.
Representative Duties• Patrols campus buildings and grounds on foot, bicycle or by vehicle as required.
• Secures all buildings and structures according to need, checking for signs of vandalism, fires or other dangers which might result in loss or damage to life or property; reports all hazards, unsafe conditions, and equipment failures to supervisor.
• Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls.
• Enforces all university and civil laws pertaining to security on campus.
• Communicates with University personnel and law, fire, and safety personnel to receive and exchange information related to security, vandalism, crimes, investigations, or safety issues.
• Prepares clear and concise criminal, supplemental and incident reports relating to daily activities including observed violations, interviews and collection of physical evidence.
• Responds to and investigate instances involving assault, battery, illegal substances use and other illegal acts occurring on University property.
• Enforces campus traffic regulations and assist with traffic control during special events.
• Assists in emergency situations (e.g. accidents, personal injuries, fires, earthquakes, etc.).
• Responds to fire and burglar alarm activations, which may include extinguishing small fires.
• Handles and operates campus safety equipment, which will include motor vehicles, radio scanners, spotlights, handcuffs, hand-held radio, and basic hand tools and may include chemical agents.
• Provides information and responds to questions from students, staff, and visitors.
• Provides testimony on cases in court as needed.
• Provides escort services as requested.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Of• Campus safety policies and procedures.
• Methods, procedures and practices of effective law enforcement and security.
• Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures of a campus environment.
• Traffic laws and crowd and traffic control techniques.
• Investigation and report writing techniques.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Knowledge of common fire hazards and the operation of fire equipment.
• Basic first aid and CPR.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability To• Preserve and protect University property, personnel, students and the public.
• Enforce pertinent laws, rules and regulations with tact, firmness and diplomacy.
• Meet physical condition standards appropriate to conduct campus safety officer activities and responsibilities as outlined in the job description and as established by Campus Safety.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Operate and maintain safety equipment in a safe and proper manner.
• Think and act quickly and accurately and adopt a safe effective course of action.
• Organize and write clear and concise reports of factual occurrences.
• Interact with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels.
• Interview witnesses, complainants and suspects.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Make judgment calls on sensitive, confidential issues.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Operate a computer and relevant office equipment and peripheries.
• Work independently with minimal direction.
Education and ExperienceEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year of related experience in security or law enforcement.
• Valid California driver’s license and an acceptable, current DMV driver’s record report.
• First Aid and CPR issued by an authorized agency within first three months of employment.
• Work flexible hours & shifts as needed.
• Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) Guard Card preferred.
In-door and out-door assignments.
Patrol in all types of weather.
Occasional contact with abusive individuals.
Variable work shifts.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
Visual ability for reading, inspecting, and using a computer monitor.
Walking and climbing stairs to conduct security patrols and security inspections.
Lift as needed, including overhead lifting (50 lbs.).
Running and riding a bike to respond to emergencies.
Bending at the waist.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
Exposure to adverse weather conditions, and potential physical hazards involved in intervening in anti-social, illegal and violent behavior.
Application ProcedureCompleted Application Packet includes:
• CLU Application
• Cover letter outlining your qualifications for this particular job
Only complete packets will be forwarded to the search committee. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
California Lutheran University is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.