Support Staff Position (non-exempt)
Position TitleEarly Childhood Substitute Teacher
DepartmentEarly Childhood Center
Salary ($US) and BenefitsHiring Range: $17.07/hr
Basic FunctionUnder the direction of the Director of Preschool, plan and implement an educational program in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the school; teach preschool curriculum; communicate with parents.
Representative Duties• Plan and implement an educational program in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the school; create, maintain and organize age-appropriate learning materials; modify the program as needed for children with special interests, handicaps, special talents and individual style and pace for learning. E
• Assist children with obtaining goals, gaining self-confidence and learning to be independent; encourage children to share experiences, to interact with other children and to find solutions to resolve problems. E
• Observe and evaluate children to provide for their individual and group needs; communicate with the Director regarding children with special needs; communicate daily with other teachers to maintain consistency for children. E
• Observe and facilitate children’s development and growth by meeting the changing needs of each child; assist children at nap time, feeding time, toileting, and related needs as necessary; prepare and provide afternoon snacks. E
• Supervise children on the playground and in the classroom; oversee children’s activities and assure proper care and safety of children. E
• Attend and participate in staff meetings; evaluate program progress, goals and objectives; discuss issues and progress of children, curriculum and related matters. E
• Communicate with parents orally and in writing; make home visits as assigned; conduct parent/teacher conferences as requested; participate in other parent-related activities as requested. E
• Prepare information for parents regarding students and the schools philosophy and practice. E
• Provide for the ordered arrangement, appearance, décor and learning environment of the classroom; assist in maintaining equipment, supplies and materials; assure a clean, healthy environment according to established procedures. E
• Participate in professional growth activities including attendance at workshops, training sessions, conferences and courses, and reading journals and other materials. E
• Train and provide work direction to student assistants as assigned.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge OfSchool policies and philosophy.
Child growth and development.
Instructional methods and techniques.
Classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct.
Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
Oral and written communication skills.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Health and safety regulations.
Ability ToPlan and implement an educational program in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the school.
Participate in staff and professional growth activities.
Assist in maintaining the physical environment of the classroom.
Instruct students in various indoor and outdoor activities.
Prepare and provide afternoon snacks.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Observe health and safety regulations.
Understand and relate to children.
Monitor and evaluate student progress.
Education and ExperienceMust have 12 units or more in Early Childhood classes and one year of experience teaching preschool-aged children.
Classroom and playground environment.
Seeing to monitor classroom activities and student behavior.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to assist students.
Pushing or pulling play equipment.
Lifting moderately heavy children and play equipment.
Application ProcedureEmployment application must be submitted in full, additionally, send resume with cover letter and names and phone numbers of three professional references to:
California Lutheran University
Human Resources, MC1100
60 W. Olsen Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
Fax resume to (805) 493-3655 or