Schedule of Events for Families
Visit the Parents & Families website for resources throughout your student's time at Cal Lutheran.
The transition to college is one of the biggest steps your student will take in their life. However, your student is not the only person making a transition. While they are learning how to live on their own and making their own decisions, you, too are confronted with a new set of circumstances.
Whether your student is living at home or on campus, you will most likely see your role as a family member change. Family Orientation has been created to make this transition as stress-free as possible.
|Friday, Aug. 30|
|8:15am - 6:45pm||Library Open||Pearson Library|
|10:00am - 6:00pm||ID Cards and Parking Pass||Alumni 112 & 113|
|1:00pm - 4:00pm||New Student Residential Move-in||Residential Halls|
|1:00pm - 6:00pm||New Student Orientation Information Tent|
|4:30pm||Family Residential Meeting|
Registration closes on August 23, 2013. A limited amount of tickets will be available on move in day, August 30, 2013, for $12/person.
|Saturday, Aug. 31|
|8:00am - 9:30am||New Student Orientation Check-In||GSFC Patio|
|8:00am - 9:30am||Office Resources||Lundring Events Center|
|10:15am - 4:45pm||Library is Open||Pearson Library|
|9:30am - 10:15am||President's Welcome||GSFC Arena|
|10:15am - 11:00am||Parenting in the College Years (Spanish Session)||GSFC 253|
|10:15am - 11:00am||Deep and Wide: Liberal Arts and Lutheran higher education||GSFC Arena|
|11:00am - 12:30pm||Deep and Wide: Liberal Arts and Lutheran higher education (Spanish Session)||GSFC 253|
|11:00am - 12:00pm||Parenting in the College Years||GSFC Arena|
|12:30pm - 2:00pm||Lunch and Community Connection||Kingsmen Park|
|2:00pm - 3:30pm||Family Session: Campus Information and Resources (More Info)||GSFC Arena|
|2:00pm - 3:30pm||Family Session: Campus Information and Resources (Spanish Session) (More Info)||GSFC 253|
|3:45 pm - 4:45 pm||Transfer Family Panel||Overton Hall|
|3:45pm - 4:15pm||Families Meet with Peer Advisors||Seminar Room on Nametag|
|4:15pm - 4:45pm||Families Meet with Faculty Advisors||Seminar Room on Nametag|
|5:00pm - 5:30pm||Resources for Student with Disabilities||Nygreen 1|
|5:00pm - 5:30pm||Veteran Students and Military Families||Alumni Hall 128|
|5:00pm - 6:30pm||President's Reception and Family Send-Off||President's Patio|
You will have the opportunity to hear from several different offices around campus. Some of the family sessions include:
1. Academic and Financial Guidance
- Business Office: Learn the basics of maintaining a clean student account and how to navigate new policies and payment options.
- Registrar: Hear about how parents can access their students' grades, the 4 to Finish program, and other class and schedule information.
2. Multicultural and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Multicultural Programs: Learn about the 19 different Culture and Justice Clubs on campus, the amazing multicultural video and book library, and the other unique leadership opportunities available through this office.
- Study Abroad: A semester abroad is more affordable than you might think. Cal Lutheran offers opportunities to study in over 70 countries. Hear more about this important part of Cal Lutheran's mission to educate leaders for a global society.
3. Academic and Accessibility Resources and Campus Safety
- Center for Academic and Accessibility Resources:CAAR supports students who want to maximize their academic achievement and provides the following resources: Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR) Program, Accessibility Resource Program (ARP), testing services, tutoring information, and Faculty Advisor assignments.
- Campus Public Safety: Learn the function of Campus Safety, how it serves the CLU community, and some steps students need to take to stay safe and protect their property.
4. Counseling and Health Services
- Student Counseling Services provides professional, confidential psychological counseling services free of charge to registered Cal Lutheran students and psychological education and consultation to the entire campus community. Students are seen by appointment or, if experiencing a psychological crisis, on a walk-in basis.
- Health Services will present a video presentation that will discuss what services are available, which students are eligible to use our office, and the cost of services. Patient confidentiality and some of our policies will also be discussed.