Schedule of Events for Families
Visit the Parents & Families website for resources throughout your student's time at Cal Lutheran.
The transition to college is one of the biggest steps your student will take in their life. However, your student is not the only person making a transition. While they are learning how to live on their own and making their own decisions, you, too are confronted with a new set of circumstances.
Whether your student is living at home or on campus, you will most likely see your role as a family member change. Family Orientation has been created to make this transition as stress-free as possible.
|Friday, Aug. 28|
|8:00am - 4:00pm||
All new international students are required to attend the International Student Seminar held at the beginning of each fall and spring semester or term (for some graduate programs). Information necessary to maintain international student status is presented along with needed information about campus resources, policies, and activities. Please remember to bring all of your travel documents with you to orientation (I-20, I-94, Passport, Visa).
|Richter/ Overton Hall|
|8:00am - 12:00pm||
Orientation Check-in and Residential Hall Move-In
The time has finally come for your student to check-in to their room!
|Kingsmen Park (Gazebo Side)|
Come visit the library and check out all the studying materials and areas that are available to your student.
ID Cards and Parking Permit
Students pick up their ID card and parking permit in Ullman Commons 101.
|Ullman Commons 100/101|
Peer Advisors give tours of the campus to Commuter Students.
|Kingsmen Park (Shakespeare Side)|
|4:30pm - 5:30pm||
Residential Student Family Meeting
Families meet with Residence Life to learn about living on campus.
President Chris Kimball welcomes you to the Cal Lutheran family.
|6:30pm - 7:45pm||
Cal Lutheran Family Dinner
First-year and transfer families are invited to join us for great food and entertainment.
|Kingsmen Park (Both Sides)|
|Saturday, Aug. 29|
|9:15am - 10:15am||
Lutheran Higher Education
Academic and Social Transition into Cal Lutheran
Academic and Social Transition into Cal Lutheran in Spanish
|Ullman Commons 100/101|
Community Connection and Lunch
Come and meet different Cal Lutheran offices and vendors that offer useful resources for you. Enjoy Lunch!
|2:00pm - 2:45pm||
Families Meet Faculty
Families meet faculty mentors of their student.
|Designated Classrooms/ TBD for Transfer|
|3:30pm - 4:15pm||
Disability Support Services
Learn about resources available to you inside and outside the classroom.
|Ullman Commons 100|
|3:30pm - 4:15pm||
GI Bill & Yellow Ribbon 101
Informational meeting for veteran students and military families.
|Ullman Commons 101|
|4:00pm - 5:30pm||
President's Reception and Family Send-Off
Meet President Chris Kimball and enjoy some refreshments.
You will have the opportunity to hear from several different offices around campus. Some of the family sessions include:
1. Academic and Financial Guidance
- Business Office: Learn the basics of maintaining your student account and how to navigate new policies and payment options.
- Registrar: Hear about how parents can access their students' grades, the 4 to Finish program, and other class and schedule information.
2. Multicultural and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Multicultural Programs: Learn about the variety of Culture and Justice Clubs on campus, the amazing multicultural video and book library, the cultural programs, and unique leadership opportunities available through this office.
- Study Abroad: A semester abroad is more affordable than you might think. Cal Lutheran offers opportunities to study in over 70 countries. Hear more about this important part of Cal Lutheran's mission to educate leaders for a global society.
3. Academic and Accessibility Resources and Campus Safety
- Center for Student Success: CSS serves the Cal Lutheran community and supports students who want to maximize their academic achievement. CSS offers the following academic resources: Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR) Program, Disability Support Services, testing services, tutoring information, Academic Difficulty Notices and Faculty Advisor assignments.
- Campus Safety: Learn the function of Campus Safety, how it serves the CLU community, and some steps students need to take to stay safe and protect their property.
4. Counseling and Health Services
- Student Counseling Services provides professional, confidential psychological counseling services free of charge to registered Cal Lutheran students and psychological education and consultation to the entire campus community. Students are seen by appointment or, if experiencing a psychological crisis, on a walk-in basis.
- Health Services will address what services are available, which students are eligible to use our office, and the cost of services. Patient confidentiality and some of our policies will also be discussed.