CLU has made a commitment to reducing its carbon footprint by using electric vehicles on campus, retrofitting light bulbs and fixtures, constructing LEED-certified buildings, phasing out the use of water coolers and personal refrigerators, adopting a new campus lighting plan, retrofitting two buildings with "cool roofs," and re-evaluating temperature set-points for all campus buildings. During the last year, CLU has reduced its energy consumption by 13% over initial projections!
Here are some ways you can contribute:
- WALK to classes, to the Caf, grocery store, etc. whenever possible.
- Car pool as often as you can.
- Turn off lights, computers, TVs, etc. when not in use (and ask your roommates and colleagues to do the same).
- Turn your thermostat up 2 degrees in the summer and down 2 degrees in the winter.
- Purchase warm-hued lampshades and buy only CFL (flourescent) bulbs.
- Install Smart Strips for appliances to avoid the "phantom menace" of idle currents.
- Eat less meat
- Purchase only (or at least mostly) locally-grown produce